Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Money Pit

Between Bill & Evan, my yard is now one big mud puddle.  Sam helped a bit too.  Bill has been digging out so he can put in a retaining wall in the back and then put in some brick pavers.  I am sure it will be nice.  However, now the yard is one huge mud puddle.  Evan and Sam are very happy with it.  I am not so happy.  I have no problem with mud puddles.  I like them.  I do prefer, however, that mud stay outside.  This is not happening.  I imagine that I will live, but I am still not happy about the mud being dragged into my house.
No Call, No Show, for the 2 contractors who were supposed to come by this weekend about the porch columns.  Figures.  I have found a few more to call, but this time they are all masons.  I don't even want to think about how much they will want to charge. 
Bill has decided that he will probably call the roofer to come out and start this week, anyway.  We will just have to figure out the porch columns later.  I think, that if we supported the columns now, before the roofers start, we should be able to get away with waiting till the roof is done  to get the columns put back in place.  They are supporting the roof just fine at the moment, be we are pretty sure straightening them out and bringing them back to level, will involve completely ripping out the porch, & digging around the columns to expose the pillars.  The joys of home ownership.  When we filled out the forms for the historical society, they ask if your home has a name or what you would want it listed as.  I think usually they want the name of someone significant who has lived in the home.  We haven't had anyone really important live here.  There was a butcher who lived here once, I bet alot of people at the time thought he was pretty important.  He died in the house, on my birthday, back in the '30's.  Anyway, we didn't put down a name for the house, but I think I should change that.  I would like the plaque to read '1890 Money Pit'.  Because that is exactly what it is. 
Bill has presented me with about 19 colors that I have to pick 7 from.  I thought we were done with the colors for the outside.  I thought we settled on 4.  I thought wrong.  Bill has changed his mind.  He really thinks we can come up with 7 different colors for the exterior if we really apply ourselves.
I really don't care at this point. As long as there is no blue, I'm good.  Unfortunately, the colors I like, he doesn't.   There is only so much paintable space available on this house!  Why can't the shingles count as a color?  or the Brick?  That would be brown and Red, great two colors already picked.  Oh I am just being cranky, I am sure we will figure it out.  But he's asking someone who doesn't like to shop, not at all.  Food shopping is okay, I really like food.  But I dislike all other shopping.
Oh, we did go to a few garage sales yesterday morning.  The very first one we went to, had Jazz Sneakers...in my size!!!! They fit great and had only been worn a couple of times.  Yay!  I got them for Zumba.  And for cheap!!!  I love cheap!  I also finally got the Zumba book & dvd I ordered.  I think I am going to like this DVD better.  It has 60 minutes of music on it.  I was playing the dvd yesterday and Evan was dancing around having a great time.  Bill was not so impressed.  He came downstairs and said he felt like he was in Miami.  LOL  I love it.  There are not many things I miss about Florida, but the music and awesome Cuban food are two of them.  Since Evan and I have a ton of cleaning to do today, I think we will listen to the very motivating latin music while we do.  Really loud.  It should confuse the neighbors,, heheheheheheheheh.
So that said, I am off to wage a losing battle against dust, mud and laundry :)

No comments: