Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Completely Freaked Out

I have completely freaked myself out!   The Culprit??  Knitting.  I love it!  I can't believe it, but I really truly do.  It's freaky.  I have always fancied myself a creative person trapped in a very uncooperative body.  I really would love to be creative, however, I just am not.
Having married into an obnoxiously creative family, I tend to stick out like a sore thumb.
Every single one of them has something they are disgusting good at, a couple of them more than one thing.  We'll start with my father in law.  extraordinary painter, awesome drummer & singer.  Disgusting really.  When I found out that his band had opened for Aerosmith, many, many years ago, I thought I would just die.  Really, that just floored me.  Then there are his paintings.  OMG.  You have to see them to believe them.  I couldn't in any stretch of the imagination describe them in a way that would do them justice, so I won't.  But they are unbelievable.  My mother in law..  What isn't she good at??  Her cooking is to die for.  I am not talking about one or two dishes, its everything she cooks.  Little bit of Heaven on a plate. My youngest sister in law makes fabulous jewelry!  That's irritating too, although I do enjoy it when I get something she has made for me.  Even Bill.  He can draw, omg can he draw.  Not just pictures of crap of stuff he sees,  he can draw anything you ask him too.  But designs for building the kitchen, etc.  He does all of that.  Its like living with an architect, which he did go to school for, but I doubt a lot of them can actually build personally what they drew.
Which leaves me.  I would love to draw.  My stick people look deformed.  Writing?  ah maybe but I am really too lazy.  See I get my big ideas when I am in bed, trying to sleep and am really to lazy to get out of bed to write them down.  I am a pretty good cook, most of the time but nowhere near the level of Fran, may her name be praised :)  I like to do crafty things, but I have the attention span of a 2 year old, so unless it takes under 3 minutes I will get bored and move on. 
However, this knitting thing is amazing.  I am big on multi-tasking and this is it!.  I can knit while watching tv or refereeing the boys.  I am working on reading while knitting. That in my opinion will be the ultimate.  But right now I am just not good enough at the knitting, but I am working on it.
It just surprises me that I like to do it.   I find myself getting all excited looking at patterns and different types of stitches.  Freaky.  Knitting is so not me.  Or rather I don't feel like it should be, but apparently it is.  I get so excited thinking about yarn.  Yarn?  It's right up there with picking out a bottle of wine for me now.  I can't wait till I can have some wine again.  Stupid medications.  I love knitting like I love wine and chocolate.  Creepy and strange.  Knitting is oddly calming.  I just can't seem to get over that it doesn't bore to me tears.  Doing the same thing over and over and over.  
 I am really looking forward to making things for everyone for the holidays. Now the big questions are what?  Since very few of the people who will be getting presents actually read this blog, I feel safe in revealing what I have in mind.  I am sure those people can keep their mouths shut and act surprised when the time comes lol. besides this list is subject to change without notice.

For the boys I am thinking blankets, hats and booties in their favorite colors.
For Rich I am thinking a lap blanket in Red and Black checks.
For Bill  I am thinking possibly camo socks that he can wear around the house, since Sam has this thing about his slippers. Maybe a beer coozie?
For Jana, a slouchy beret style hat with matching fingerless gloves..maybe
For Fran, Hat, headband and scarf maybe still thinking about it.
For Dunkle Phil, Aunt Miss Andrea and Barry....Wine coozies.  I was thinking hats and scarves for everyone, but I saw this pattern and its really way cool, since they like wine I thought it may be a good idea. Maybe the hats & scarves anyway.
And that is all I have come up with so far.  I still have some more  people on the Christmas list, you know who you are :)  but still not sure of what to do, so I will ponder it.

I have another doctor's appointment Friday and I am actually looking forward to the long wait in the waiting room.  I will knit. 

No comments: