Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day One...The Stop Smoking Saga Begins

Yesterday, the United States Postal service was kind enough to deliver the electronic cigarette kit I ordered, on Tuesday.  Outstanding.  Because I am female, immediately after opening the package, I read the instruction manual, all of it, word for word, cover to cover.  I am mentioning this, because if I was male , I would have just winged it, without reading anything. Anyway, So I read it, and plugged in the battery part to the wall charger and figured I had about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to wait until the battery was fully charged.  Surprise, it took about 1 1/2 hours to fully charge.

Step two.  I unplugged the battery thing and tried to decide which flavor pack I was going to try first.  I decided on Vanilla. So I put that part where it was supposed to go and it appeared that I was ready to go.
For some reason, I just put it back in the holder part of the package.  And looked at it.
I just wasn't sure if I really wanted to put that thing in my mouth.  It has a battery, I have always been told you don't put batteries in your mouth.  It it plastic and metal, with a microchip and then a little plastic thing filled with poison (the nicotine, glycol, water stuff).  None which sound like things that you should put in your mouth.  So I took the dog outside to pee and I lit up a real cigarette while I contemplated this electronic thingy and any possible consequences of putting it in my mouth.

After much contemplation, well okay it was about 3 minutes worth, I decided that I would actually use the thingy and see. 
But, not right that minute, I just had 1/2 of a cigarette.

About 2 hours later, I needed to get dinner started so, I picked up the e-cig and gave it a quick, little pull.  Hmmm not too shabby.  It didn't really taste like vanilla.  It tasted more like a swisher sweet. Which I have been known to enjoy on occasion.  The little red light lit up like it was supposed to, and there was just a little bit of the smoke stuff, which isn't smoke at all, its a water vapor.  It was like your breath, outside on a chilly morning, not much at all. In fact if you aren't watching closely you will miss it.  But, I noticed the hit of nicotine immediately and after one hit, not 1/2 a cigarette.  I can see how this would work. Well for some people.  I am not now , nor have I ever been a heavy smoker.  Maybe 5 cigarettes a day, that's why I chose to go with the lowest dose they carried, that still contained nicotine.  They have flavor cartridges that are just flavor and no nicotine. 
So I tried to do just use the e-cig for the rest of the day.  And I did do pretty well, except I did have the rest of my real cigarette about 8:30 when I took Sam out. 
This morning, I didn't use it I had a real cigarette.  The e-cig is still in its little holder.  I will try to use it most of the day.
There are couple of things I don't like about it.  Its @$#%ing heavy. I can't hold it like a regular cigarette, my hand aren't big enough.  When I say heavy, I am not joking, it is also  a bit bigger than a regular cigarette. 
Real Cig on Left- E-cig on the right
As you can see the electronic one is alot bigger.  I am not saying I don't like it.  I just have to use it more than I am.  I still haven't just sat down and smoked it like a real cigarette yet.  Maybe that is my problem.  I rarely can just set down and smoke.  I stand outside, take 2 or 3 hits and come back in.  But I also don't want to use the e-cig in front of the boys.  Maybe I should start doing it in the laundry room :)

So that is the update for today.  I would like to switch over completely by Monday.  But of course I would also have to use the thing more than once or twice. 
In case I haven't mentioned it,  I am using the South Beach Smoke Premium Starter kit. 
Let's see how today goes. 

No comments: